The BMW M Safety Cars are a key pillar in the commitment of BMW M GmbH to the MotoGP™. This season, the BMW M2 Coupé modified exclusively for this purpose is joined by the BMW M4 Coupé with water injection and the BMW M3 as Official Safety Cars. The organisational team will also have access to a range of other BMW and BMW M cars, including a BMW M5 for the “Safety Officer” as well as the BMW X5 M and the BMW M550d xDrive Touring as “Medical Cars”. Two BMW S 1000 RRs will be in action as Safety Bikes.
The BMW M2 MotoGP Safety Car is the new highlight of the MotoGP fleet and immediately takes a leading role in the quest to get the field of top-class riders round the racetrack quickly and safely in the coming rounds of the World Championship.
The BMW M2 Coupé (combined fuel consumption with M DTC: 7.9 l/100 km; combined CO2 emissions: 185 g/km), which was unveiled in Detroit in January 2016, provided the ideal basis for a MotoGP Safety Car, particularly as its distinct racing genes are part of the product DNA. The new inline six-cylinder engine with innovative M TwinPower Turbo technology and three-litre capacity guarantees extremely sporty performance. With a maximum output of 272 kW/370 hp and a maximum torque of 7,000 min-1, the extremely rev-happy power train really makes its mark out on the track. The intelligent, lightweight concept, low point of gravity and small, unsprung weight are further trump cards, which help ensure the maximum agility and dynamics of the high-performance coupé.
In the BMW M factory in Garching, the production car was modified, optimised and prepared by hand for its new role in MotoGP. As well as exclusive tailor-made solutions and mandatory safety features, the engineers at BMW M Division also equipped the Safety Car with extensive BMW M Performance Parts. This not only gives the car an eye-catching appearance, but also plays a practical role in the areas of aerodynamics, cooling and lightweight design. Many of the M Performance Parts, including the lowered thread chassis and exhaust with flap system, are also available as retrofit components for the BMW M2 Coupé.
Modifications for the BMW M2 MotoGP Safety Car
- BMW M Performance exhaust system with carbon finishers
- BMW M Performance carbon side skirts
- BMW M Performance front grille high-gloss black
- BMW M Performance Air Breather high-gloss black
- BMW M Performance carbon mirror caps
- BMW M Performance carbon aerodynamic kit front (blades)
- BMW M Performance carbon rear diffusor
- Front flap CFK/GFK underframe (newly developed)
- Carbon rear wing with closed mounts
- BMW M Performance coilover suspension
- Carbon ceramic brake (prototype)
- Michelin Cup tyres
- Bonnet with "motorsport lock"
- Fuel suction pump
- Battery master switch
- Flashing corona headlight rings
- LED lights on the roof with bracket (newly developed)
- LED lights in the front grille
- LED lights in the rear lights
- RECARO racing seats with Schroth belts
- Roll cage
- Fire extinguisher with bracket
- BMW M Performance alcantara steering wheel
- BMW M Performance carbon fibre interior trim
- BMW M Performance stainless steel pedal pads
- BMW M Performance floor mats